Wednesday, July 10, 2019

THE MOVIES OF MY LIFE PHASE ONE: Bugsy Malone (1976)

Color me surprised.

Everything I read about this film emphasized that it’s a weird, mishandled, borderline creepy-in-a-pervy-way experience that was not appreciated anywhere but in Great Britain.  I was prepared for a weird-ass experiment of 'What-The-Fuck’ proportions.

What I got was a really fun musical with some great Paul Williams songs that could be read as a criticism of the glamorization of the gang lifestyle.

Yeah, sure, it is strange seeing this crime melodrama being enacted solely by kids 16 and under for the first twenty or so minutes or so....but then I found my brain adjusting to this world to the point where it seemed natural.  It help that director Alan Parker establishes the rules of this story early on and sticks to it (except for that strange scene where a Chinese Laundry seems to be populated by more adult actors) so we’re never brought out of the movie by inconsistencies.  It also helps that Parker’s script is not only genuinely funny but features dialogue that rings true to the 30's gangster movie genre without sounding parodic; there’s no 'winking’ at the camera, and the cast seem invested on creating a veracity to this story.  There were a couple of moments where I was laughing at loud at the banter.

...and there were more than a few moments when I was watching the musical numbers and speculating on the alternate Earth where Paul Williams’ career took him to Broadway rather than Hollywood.  These are not just pop songs; they’re legit show tunes that move the story along and illuminate characters.  Even the song I’m not all that keen on (and the one that I suspect gives it its ‘pervy’ reputation among people who don’t pay attention), ‘Tallulah,’ has a secondary purpose.   It is good dramaturge as well as songwriting, and I shudder to think of the awesomeness we could have had if Williams had pursued this career path.

(As a sidebar: I looked for the soundtrack on Amazon Music for it immediately after watching the film, only to find it’s out of print.  That’s two movie soundtracks on my Holy Grail list now, along with the magnificent power pop orgy that is 2002‘s Josie and The Pussycats!)

The acting, given that it’s an all kid cast, many of them not professional actors, varies but is generally okay.  There are some standouts, and I’m not just talking about Jodie Foster, who Mae Wests the Femme Fatale out of her role.  I particularly liked John Cassissi’s Fat Sam, who is hilarious and is responsible for one of the very few fourth-wall breaking gags.  But as a whole, the cast has the bantery style that marked 30‘s gangster epics down cold.  There are some sequences where Florence Garland, playing the ingenue Blousey Brown, thoroughly captures the spirit of quippy flipness that made Thelma Todd so delightful in those RKO Marx Brothers films.  It’s a pity that Cassissi and Garland didn’t pursue acting (Cassissi especially so, since he ended up in prison for money laundering).

Even though Parker never lost sight of this being a family film, I kept thinking that he was making a point about how Hollywood trivialized and glamorized crime, equating our perception of what ‘classic’ gangsterism was with kids’ playtime.  I think it works on both levels and it’s very effective no matter how you take it.  I heartily recommend it!

Hey!  Wanna Help Support This Blog And Get Cool Goodies In Return?  Then head on over to The Domicile of Dread Patreon Page and join me on my crusade to Make The World Stranger.  For as little as a dollar a month, you’ll get new fiction and exclusive essays.  Invest a bit more, and get other stuff including advance access to my new television podcast Thomas Deja’s Watching (new episode dropping in the next few days!), the Patreon Exclusive Podcast Cinematic Mirage (I plan on the first episode, focusing on Tales From The Crypt: Dead Easy, dropping later this month), movie commentaries...and even the chance to assign me articles that’ll be published on this very blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHEN WE WERE ULTRA: The Difference 25 Years Make, Steve (SLUDGE, SLUDGE: RED X-MAS)

Supposedly, Steve Gerber had no idea for what he could write as his contribution to the Ultraverse. Sure, he was doing Exiles , but that was...