Sunday, August 13, 2023

SUFFERING FOR A CAUSE!: Make Me Read Marvel's The Crossing!

You see this book?

This book collects one of the most notorious 'crossover events' in comics history.

Designed to do for the Avengers what 'The Death of Superman' did for Superman, 'Knightfall' did for Batman and 'The Clone Saga' (partially) did for Spider-Man, 'The Crossing' is generally hailed at an incoherent mess that redefined a slew of characters that maybe...didn't need redefinition.  Because of 'The Crossing,' we had Teen Tony Iron Man, a Wasp that was actually part wasp, and the Eidolon Warware War Machine (look it up; it wasn't pretty).  It's a crossover so confusing and full of dangling plot threads that Kurt Busiek wrote it off as an intentional plan to confuse people in his maxi-series Avengers Forever.  It so screwed up the intent to drive sales up on Avengers, Iron Man and related series that Marvel reached out to Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee to reboot both series under the 'Heroes Reborn' umbrella.  It frequently ends up at the top of a number of Worst Marvel Storyline lists.

And I am willing to suffer through it all for you...but it will cost you.

I'm pretty sure all of you are aware of the absolute devastation that has hit Maui. And it was made very clear from the three Halloween Horrorfest events that you love it when I suffer.  So if you want me to go through this Gauntlet of Bad Comics, I will require you to visit my Facebook Donation Page and give money to The Maui Food Bank so we can help feed all the people who have been left in this traumatic situation.

You can donate what you want, but for every $80 I raise, I will produce a new article featuring the next issue in this 24 issue collection, with an ultimate goal of $2000.  And for particularly large donations (or if we go over the goal), I may end up doing something special.  After all, there were people who actually came up with this monstrosity, and I. Have. Questions!

(Also...if you'd like to throw a few coins my way, I'd invite you to think about joining my Patreon  or buying me a Ko Fi . And if you have something you'd like me to suffer through for charity, whether comic, film franchise or something else, please let me know my Gauntlet and your charity of choice.  I reserve the right to say no, but all serious suggestions will be considered!)

I should let you know that, as of this writing, $100 has already been raised--so expect an article on Avengers #390, the first issue of this event, during the week.

Please help out these people suffering in Hawaii by making me suffer!


No comments:

Post a Comment

WHEN WE WERE ULTRA: The Difference 25 Years Make, Steve (SLUDGE, SLUDGE: RED X-MAS)

Supposedly, Steve Gerber had no idea for what he could write as his contribution to the Ultraverse. Sure, he was doing Exiles , but that was...