Thursday, September 5, 2019

IF EVERYBODY’S DOING IT, WHY CAN’T WE: Life, Liberty And....A Gorilla In A Karate Gi

August saw the debut of Cinematic Mirage.

October will, of course, be dominated by The 2019 Halloween Horrorfest (see below for more info)

But what are we going to do about September?

Well, over at the Domicile of Dread Patreon, it’s about time for the payoff to the event I conducted this May.  On September 2nd, it’s time for LIBERTY!

Okay, I know...I originally entitled this ‘Strikeforce Liberty.’  But that was when I thought it was just going to be a super-hero prose serial featuring characters I created inspired by public domain characters.

...but as I wrote the first segment, it started to mutate--probably due to my re-entering the role-playing gaming community.  I started hearing an oral history segment of the project that wouldn’t go away.  So, while it is still a serial that I’m writing (the first large project I’m doing without an outline), it’s going to be one part of a larger thing that will immerse the reader into a brand new super-hero world.  If you join us at the $1 Tier or higher, you will get everything that emerges from a world containing a super-heroic reality TV show, a secret underground government project...and an international jewel thief being hired by a gorilla in a silk gi.

(Seriously.  There are times I write stuff like this and think about how much I love writing stuff.)

You’ll get a little taste here of the first segment of this new epic below.  But if you want the whole enchilada, you’ll need to sign up at the Patreon.  The good news is that you’ll get it at any tier.  Even if you can only spare me a buck a month, you’ll be getting missives from this new Pulp Action Superhero World.

So dip your toe into my new pond of parahuman pulp.  If you want more, sign up!
--------------------------------------
A Trip To The Zoo

“This isn’t creepy,” one woman said to the other as she put her hands against the glass barrier that protected the public from the the three California Sea Lions who made the pool their home.  Her voice was husky and had a slight Gaellic lilt to it.

“There are worse places we’ve met clients, dear,” the other woman replied with a posh English accent.  Her attention was drawn to the small compact in her right hand as she gently rearranged her raven black tresses.

“If it wasn’t midnight,” Marissa shot back.  She turned away from the pool.  Her long, straight platinum hair seemed to sparkle in the moonlight.  “and we didn’t have to break in and subdue that very nice security guard.”

“That was unfortunate,” the brunette responded as she snapped her compact shut.

“I would think so.”

“It’s most likely some parahuman type.  You know how dramatic they can be.”

“You would think he’d want to meet us near the grizzly bear habitat if he was looking for drama.”

“Actually,” a voice that sounded like an earthy rumble, “the sealion pool is closer to my lair.”

“Oh, my,” said the brunette.

“Oh, my indeed,” added the blonde.

They had just been joined by a gorilla with coarse black hair and large, startlingly bright green eyes dressed in what looked like an emerald silk gi.  “Lady King.  I was expecting you to be alone.”

“Is that...an Oxford accent?” the blonde asked in stunned wonder.

“Miss Bava is essential to my operation.  Anything you need to say, you say to the both of us.”

“Very well.  Let me get down to it, then.”

“That is an Oxford accent.”

“Marissa!”

“I’ve never heard of a gorilla who attended Oxford!”

The gorilla adjusted the collar on his jacket and looked uncomfortable.  “It’s an affectation.  I find that when you deal with uneducated types to do your dirty work, they don’t believe you are genius unless you sound posh.  I was actually born here.”

“I thought gorillas and other large animals were transferred out of this place when in was renovated in the 80‘s.”

“Oh, I had already started constructing my home below by that time.  I just made sure I wasn’t around when Moving Day came.  I am...shall we say, not officially a member of this facility’s family.  Can we discuss business now?”

“Shouldn’t you be dressed in leather or spikes or something intimidating like that?” Marrisa asked with a touch of anxiety in her voice.

“Do you really think I should wear something so confining and uncomfortable?  The only reason I’m wearing this is because you primates get uncomfortable speaking to somebody naked.”  He cast his eyes towards Lady King.  “Is including this woman really necessary?”

“Absolutely essential.”

There was a low rumble from the great ape.  His brow furrowed.  “I appreciate your willingness to meet with me.  I was told by The Facilitator that you do not usually accept conditions.”

“I don’t.  But the mission brief he provided...interests me.”

“Yes.  This isn’t just a search for sparkly things.”

“Good. One needs to stretch one’s horizons, don’t you think?” Lady King said with a charming half-smile.

“Perfect answer,” the gorilla said.  “So tell me, Lady Olivia King....are you familiar with the legend of The Figure?”

The 2019 Halloween Horrorfest is Coming--Wanna Help Program It? Last year I watched 30 films in 31 days and wrote an essay for each one, dictated by a series of Twitter Polls--but this year you can make me watch a film you love (as long as I can find it, or rent/buy it at a reasonable price; other than that, all bets are off!)  If you either join the Patreon at $3 Tier or more, or make a one time payment of $3 or more, you can choose the film and the date...and if I get more than 31 reservations, the Horrorfest goes into overtime!  The offer ends on September 30th, so act quickly!  For further information, go to here....

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHEN WE WERE ULTRA: The Difference 25 Years Make, Steve (SLUDGE, SLUDGE: RED X-MAS)

Supposedly, Steve Gerber had no idea for what he could write as his contribution to the Ultraverse. Sure, he was doing Exiles , but that was...