Tuesday, September 8, 2020

HALLOWEEN HORRORFEST 2020: The First Week Is Booked!

w


 Just because I’ve been wrapped up in revisiting the early years of Doctor Who and putting together the audio adaptation of the Terry Moore classic Strangers in Paradise that is scheduled to air on The Two True Freaks Network late this Fall (go here for more information and updates on this exciting project!) doesn’t mean I’ve been neglecting this year’s Horrorfest!  I’m already receiving choices from some of my sponsors....to the point where I can safely announce what you’re in store for those first few days of October!

Be sure to join me here throughout October (and maybe a little later...we went to November 2nd last year) as I write about a different horror film every day!  And even better, you can program a day.  Details are below.

But first, announcing The Beginning of This Gauntlet of Ghoulishness!


Oct 1st: Mystics In Bali

Film Critic and proclaimed Cinema Snob Witney Seibold of the Critically Acclaimed Podcast Network sponsors opening day with this notorious Indonesian thriller about an American dumbass getting wrapped up with an evil shaman and being turned into a penanggalan (look it up).  I’ve seen this one before, and I remember it being nuts.  Witney will be representing The Trevor Project, providing crisis intervention to the LGBTQ community.


Oct 2nd: The Old Dark House (1932)

Witney’s Podcast Brother William Bibbiani steps in to sponsor this James Whale classic.  It’s little seen (I haven’t!), but it’s the foundation on which the majority of Horror Comedies were built on and stars Boris Karloff.  William will be representing the ACLU, who have been fighting against discrimination and inequality for decades.



Oct 3rd: Black Sunday

Brian Trenchard-Smith, one of the Titans of Ozploitation and a man I am proud to call friend, sponsors this absolute Bava black and white classic featuring what is one of the most fascinating scream queens of all time, Barbara Steele.  I love Bava, I love Steele, and I cannot wait to talk about this landmark film.


Oct 4th: Gargoyles

Greg Lamberson, whose feature Widow’s Point is available now on streaming and physical media, once again invites me to explore TV horror movies of the 70‘s with this classic number featuring Cornell Wilde, a overdubbed Bernie Casey and early work from the one-and-only Stan Winston!  This film has a particular spot in my ‘Nightmare Closet,’ so I’m raring to discuss this.  Greg will be representing the American Diabetes Association


Oct 5th: Host (2020)

The baddest cheerleader of them all, Kelli Maroney, sponsors this, one of the first horror films produced during lockdown.  I have not seen this yet, but I am intensely interested.  Kelli will be representing the No Kill Coalition, which works to protect shelter animals.


Oct 6th: Mosquito Man (a.k.a ManSquito)

The New York Horror Master Mondo Vulgare continues his insect monster movie theme by sponsoring this film that originally popped up on...grumblemutter...Syfy (I still think it sounds like a venereal disease).  I have not seen this, but it’s directed by Tobor Takis, whose film I, Madman is a fave of mine.  It also stars Corin Nemic, the one-and-only Parker Lewis, who for two out of three years Could Not Lose (we will not talk about that third season.  Ever.)


Oct 7th: Bad Biology
One of my beloved Patreon sponsors, Jeremy Crowder (every Patreon gets a free sponsorship day!), has chosen this Frank Hennelotter film about a girl with an abundance of a certain sexual organ and a boy who has turned his sexual organ into a sentient, steroid addicted murderer.  How can I not want to see this? Jeremy will be representing The NY Times Neediest Cases Fund, giving

Like last year, it looks like I will be exploring the vast landscape of what horror filmmaking can be.  And that’s just the first week!  I am anxious to see what people have in mind for me this year as the Horrorfest progresses!

There are a couple of ways you can program a day in the Halloween Horrorfest this year:

1) You can become a Domicile of Dread Patreon at any level.  Patreons always get a free slot, as well as advance access to podcasts and other goodies!

2) You can buy me a coffee at Ko-Fi.  Suggested donation is $3

3) You can make a donation to Black Lives Matter.  Suggested donation is $10.  Please forward your receipt to me as proof.

4) You can choose to make a donation to the charity chosen by a sponsor on his/her/their day. Like with the third possibility, please forward me proof of donation.

There are 22 slots presently open, although that number will be reduced as some of my lovely sponsors submit their choices.  And if, by some strange reason, I end up with more than 31 films for my Gauntlet of Ghoulishness, I will be going into overtime!  No film will be spared.

I look forward to suffering for your pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHEN WE WERE ULTRA: The Difference 25 Years Make, Steve (SLUDGE, SLUDGE: RED X-MAS)

Supposedly, Steve Gerber had no idea for what he could write as his contribution to the Ultraverse. Sure, he was doing Exiles , but that was...