Sunday, November 11, 2018

Introducing...THE MEN OF MOVEMBER FILM FESTIVAL 2018!

If you’ve been following me on Twitter or Facebook, you’ll know that I am participating in Movember this year.  The Movember Foundation advocates for men’s health issues such as prostate and testicular cancer.  They also advocate for suicide prevention and mental health issues, which is of particular concern to me as a mentally ill gentleman who has attempted suicide in the past.  The Foundation encourages men to grow facial hair to raise money for these issues.  You can see weekly updates on my own efforts to grow an epic ‘stasche on my social media and my Movember Mospace Page.

...and I, of course, want to do a little more in my efforts to raise money and awareness.  Since I am very associated with movies, I have decided, with the help of my good friend Patrick Walsh of the Scream Queenz podcast (there’s still time to donate to his Pod-A-Thon for New Alternatives NYC, and I encourage you to do so),  to host a series of online movie watch-alongs over the next two weeks and change celebrating some of the greatest Hollywood Heroes and Their Magnificent Mustaches.  I will ask those of you who want to join me to donate $2 to the Movember Foundation for each movie you plan on joining me for.  We’ll be chatting throughout, and overall having a great time watching some good movies, some bad movies, and one excruciatingly awful film where Groucho Marx plays a mod boss called God.

Here is the line-up as it stands.  I will be adding a few new entries before the end of November, as there are some actors--and their mustaches--that I think are essential if this is to be a comprehensive celebration of this masculine institution.  All times are EST.

Wed, November 14th, 9pm: TOMBSTONE! The Platonic Ideal of the Men of Movember is embodied in this 1993 western by George Cosmatos and Kevin Jarre.  Not only does it have one of the true Heroes of Facial Hair, the one and only Sam Elliott, but it seems like everybody--Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Michael Biehn, everybody--rocks some serious lip decoration.  Hell, look at this poster!  I saw it in the theaters and...gasp...didn’t think much of it.  Let’s see if twenty-five years of time has made me change my opinions.

Friday, November 16th, 8pm: THE WHITE BUFFALO! Speaking of Heroes of Facial Hair, this Dino DeLaurentis oddity--it never played in New York City--features Charles Bronson as Wild Bill Hickock teaming up with Will Sampson’s Crazy Horse to track down a supernatural, flesh-eating albino buffalo.  It has a rep of Not Being Very Good.

Saturday, November 17th, 2pm: WILLIE DYNAMITE! What would a celebration of cinematic facial hair without a classic blackploitation flick.  This one features Gordon from Sesame Street Roscoe Orman as a pimp trying to fend off the attention of the police and a social worker played by legendary Hollywood actress Diana Sands in her last role.  There are some Spectacular ‘Staches in this movie.

Sunday, November 18th, 8pm: THE LEGACY! Sam Elliott’s legendary Mo is too epic for just one film, so--thanks to Patrick--here’s the horror movie that introduced him to his wife, Katherine Ross.  That’s the thing that we can take away from it, because it wasn’t too good.

Wednesday, November 21st, 9pm: THE SQUEEZE! Ol’ steely-eyed Lee Van Cleef and his lip hair plays a safe cracker in this comedic Eurocrime thriller directed by Antonio Margheriti!

Thursday, November 22nd, 8pm: SKIDOO! If you don’t want to watch football this Turkey Day, you can watch this notoriously bad ‘psychedelic comedy’ from Otto Preminger about gangsters dosed on LSD featuring Groucho Marx as ‘God’ and Ceaser Romero, the guy too vain to shave off his mustache to play The Joker!

Friday, November 23rd, 8pm: 1990--THE BRONX WARRIOR! Welcome to Planet Fred, as Fred Williamson rocks the 'stache in this Italian post-apocalyptic epic!  Revel in the intensely 80's-ness of  a New York gone feral.

Sunday, November 25th, 8pm: THE OCTAGON! What would a celebration of butt-kicking mo's without the man himself, Chuck Norris?  Norris and Lee Van Cleef team up to stop his half-brother from training terrorists in the ninja-style!

I am planning on adding movies for the rest of Thanksgiving Weekend--there’s one in particular I am having trouble finding--and on a day or two of the week afterwards.  I will update this schedule as it develops.

So come and join me for some cool films and some laughs, and give to the Movember Foundation.  It’ll be thoroughly cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHEN WE WERE ULTRA: The Difference 25 Years Make, Steve (SLUDGE, SLUDGE: RED X-MAS)

Supposedly, Steve Gerber had no idea for what he could write as his contribution to the Ultraverse. Sure, he was doing Exiles , but that was...