Thursday, December 13, 2018

THE MOVIES OF MY LIFE PHASE ONE: Candidates for 1967

Okay, it’s time to watch some films from the third year of my life!  Your choices for this poll are:

QUATERMASS AND THE PIT (A.k.a. FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH)

Hammer and science fiction didn’t mix often, and an argument could be made that it was for good reasons--if you don’t believe me, endure Moon Zero Two. This, the third adaptation of Nigel Kneale’s Quatermass series of teleplays, has little competition in being the best of the lot.  I’ve never seen it--I missed it at the recent Hammer retrospective at the 12th Street Cinema here in NYC, where it was playing on a double bill with The Devil Rides Out--and, as a fan of Kneale’s work, I’d like to see it.

GAMES

Curtis Harrington was a weird filmmaker.  He worked with Kenneth Anger during the nascent days of the Underground movement, made two films out of some Russian science fiction footage Roger Corman bought the rights to, and then proceeded to make these strange psychological thrillers, including two Psychobiddy entries.  This is generally considered his best film, featuring James Caan and Katherine Ross as a upper class proto-yuppie couple who engage in some pretty unhealthy ‘games’ with a psychic woman.  It rarely aired on television when I was younger and becoming fascinated with these kinds of narratives, so I’m curious to see if it’s as good as its reputation.

Like with Hammer, expect Harrington to show up in this project again.

THE BORN LOSERS

This trailer doesn’t let you in on the reason why this film is legendary to genre fans.  If you took it at face value, you’d assume this was just another biker film.  But the glum looking guy in the sou’western hat is Tom Laughlin, playing Billy Jack, a character who would make him a very rich man for about a decade and change.  I still have memories of a local movie theater sometimes playing the entire ‘’Billy Jack Trilogy’ (there are two other Billy Jack films that were made in 1976 and 1986 respectively, and barely received any distribution theatrically).  I’m familiar with the other two flicks, but not with this one, which does not feature his wife Dolores Taylor.  I’d like to see where it all began.


GOOD TIMES

For the second time in a row, I can’t find a trailer for this film, so here’s the title number.  I could go on about my fascination with the films built around major musical acts by movie studios looking for the next Beatles or Elvis franchise, but there’s one reason and one reason only that I tried to watch this once before (I fell asleep around the twenty minute mark) and would like to attempt to watch it again.

Good Times was directed by William Freidkin.

Yes, The Exorcist William Freidkin.  Sorcerer William Freidkin.  To Live and Die in LA William Freidkin, in the early days of his career, directed this near-plotless string of sketches showcasing the charisma of Sonny and Cher.  I have mentioned in earlier articles here that I admire Mr. Freidkin, but also admit that when he is bad he’s excruciating.  I am very intrigued to see which Freidkin did this mismatched duo get to shepherd the first in a series of...one! films.  If you choose this entry, I will find out.

The poll will go live sometime tomorrow, December 14th on my Twitter Page, and you will have one week as always to decide.  Please don’t let two people decide this one like the 1966 poll.  And speaking of that poll, I will watch and report on How To Steal A Million this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHEN WE WERE ULTRA: The Difference 25 Years Make, Steve (SLUDGE, SLUDGE: RED X-MAS)

Supposedly, Steve Gerber had no idea for what he could write as his contribution to the Ultraverse. Sure, he was doing Exiles , but that was...