Saturday, May 4, 2019

THE 31 CHARACTERS 31 DAYS CHALLENGE DAY FOUR

Later this year, I will be starting a project tentatively called Strikeforce: Liberty on my Patreon page.  To generate characters that will interact in this project, I have taken 31 names from the Public Domain Super Hero Wiki as prompts and will create one each day for the month of May.

You’ll notice these characters are all female, some transgendered.  I do this because I like women, and like seeing women in hero costumes.  You’ll also notice that these characters are going to be from very diverse backgrounds racially.  I do this because I like reading about characters from backgrounds other than mine own--Hell, I would find it boring to write only about white guys in late middle age.  If you find this objectionable, then this month is not for you.

I am still looking for artists who are willing to donate a little time to make a sketch--it doesn’t have to be an elaborate finished product--visualizing these guys.  I don’t want to present a parade of Hero Machine’d lookalikes.  If you’d like to participate, please DM me through Twitter (@NocturneTomDeja).

If you are a Domicile of Dread Patreon, you’ll get a short podcast discussing the creation process for each character.  If you’d like to hear these podcasts and can spare at least a dollar a month to support my efforts to Make The World Stranger, go here to sign up.

Please enjoy, and please donate.

I know she's in fatigues, but I can't get this woman out of my mind when
thinking of this character.....
CANDLEWICK

Name: Rayna Abbas
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Occupation: Freelance Arsonist and Hipster

If you ask Rayna Abbas about her life before coming to Brooklyn twice, she’d give you two different accounts.  You will get the sense that her early life growing up in the Middle East (you cannot tell exactly where) was problematic.  Sometimes, when her defenses are low, she make reference to being taken away from her family to be experimented on by an organization whose name changes from account to account but whose purpose is always clear...to train her to be a soldier in this organization's army.

It’s how Rayna gained the ability to set things of fire just by concentrating.

It’s how, after a couple of tries at legitimate employment (it’s hard to keep a job when you inadvertently set your workplace on fire), she went into the super-villain business, putting herself out for hire as a walking, one-woman wave of arson.

She’s a genuinely nice person--interacting with her gives you the sense that she would be a pretty fun person to hang out with, and she seems to know her way around the hippest spots in the city...but those. damn. torchings....

Next: It’s a blue-skinned beauty from Beyond protecting the world with her malleable form--meet Abaraxx!

The Updated List

Here is the list of available names.  I replaced two of the remaining names--one because I realized it wouldn’t lend itself to a female character, and one because the name implied a character that would duplicate a character I’ve already set up.  If you donate to RAINN here, you may ‘sponsor’ one of those names and will get a chance to put your own spin on the character, or you may give me a name of your own devising for me to make a character instead.

ABARAXX
ACE OF BLADES
ATMOS FEAR
BLACK ANGEL
BULLFROG
CAIRO JONES
CEREBEX
CORSAIR QUEEN
ELECTRIC RAY
FANTOMAH
THE FIGURE
GREY LADY
JANE DOE
LADY LIBERTY
LEOPARD WOMAN
LOA
MADAME ZERO
MR. RISK
NOCTURNE
PATCHWORK GIRL
POLYCHROME
RED RUBE
SILENT VIOLET
UGLY SISTERS
WHITE FLASH
WILL O’ THE WISP
X OF THE UNDERGROUND

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHEN WE WERE ULTRA: The Difference 25 Years Make, Steve (SLUDGE, SLUDGE: RED X-MAS)

Supposedly, Steve Gerber had no idea for what he could write as his contribution to the Ultraverse. Sure, he was doing Exiles , but that was...